Monday, January 23, 2012

Carpe Diem (revisited from 7-4-2011)

Independence Day 2011 found me visiting my parents before a brief fishing excursion.  The weather had been better than the previous several days; Less wind; Less humidity; Slightly lower temperature.  Leaving the family, I found the weather conditions had changed dramatically.  The temp had dropped from triple digits to 81 degrees.  NICE, but not without complications...the Oklahoma wind had ratcheted up from 5-10 mph to 25+ with gusts to 35 (all data complimentary of the Oklahoma Mesonet).  Not good numbers for the long rod.  Nevertheless...

Carpe Diem!
I had planned this outing over a period of several days.  Recon had been performed with regard to quarry and the body of water where the stalking was to take place.  I was not to be denied.  Turbidity was a concern.

6-8 inch visibility had me thinking about a fly that would hopefully suit conditions.  Thinking bright, weighted, on an upturned hook, I came up with the best that my limited collection of materials would allow.  My version of the "Sucker Punch".
Materials I used:  # 6 hook, 6 strands rubber skirt material, bead chain eyes, dark and burnt orange dubbing and red squirrel tail.

Carpe Cyprinus carpio!!!

So, did it work?  The wind was howling, the fish were there, and I was willing.  Two out of three ain't bad.  Fortunately, with the dingy water and wave action the carp didn't spook easily, even with errant casts.  Regardless, they were mostly uncooperative.  Several were feeding in the shallows and occasionally there were up to 3 cloopers having their way with something only they could see.  At one time I counted 14 either rooting or clooping away.  Much of the time I could have attempted presenting a fly to fish that were 30-40 feet away, but I managed to wait till others would come to within 20 feet.  I must have casted to 10 or more individuals multiple times with no success.  Having one phantom hook-up over about an hour I was close to going home skunked when one willing 20 incher appeared to react to the fly.  Believing I had seen the line twitch, a strip-set was rewarded with a bent rod.  It was several moments before the carp really seemed to realize he had something tugging at his face, at which time he bulled his way pretty much wherever he wanted.  Finally after a pleasurable fight he began to tire.


Even now he wasn't ready to give in.
After a few more runs, carp and fisherman are equally spent.

Sending him on his way, I packed away my things, enjoyed the sunset for a moment,
and headed for home.

Cyprinus carpio, until we meet again.

2 comments:

  1. Kevin,
    I found your site, sweet! Nice fly on Barry's Blog so I had to check it out. Love tying, after I do some similar I'll show you what I have and when it works. And, it looks like a winner.
    Gregg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg,
    Thanks for the kind words. That report was my first official carping attempt. All others attempts were chance encounters. I scoped out this place for the sole purpose of catching carp. I'll be chasing them more this coming year. Please keep me in the loop!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete